Table of Contents:
The International day of persons with disabilities is observed every year on the 3rd of December. The observance was claimed for the first time in 1992 by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 47/3. The main purpose of the day is to understand the issues faced by disabled people and to work for their rights and dignity, so that the world becomes a better place for such people.
In the year 2009, Department of Economic and Social of the United Nations had a film festival to commemorate the day. The event included films related to disability that helped in raising awareness. In the year 2015, the Department of Economic and Social Affairs had a photo contest, in order to eradicate the social stigma and stereotype that is attached with disabled people, so that everyone can accept that such people are a part of human diversity.
The UN celebrates the day every year. The prerogatives for the disabled people are their main focus, and the main goals include:
- Creating supporting work environments.
- Working towards disability and disaster risk reduction.
- Disability-inclusive sustainable development goals for disabled people.
Facts about Disability
Did you know that around 80% of the disabled people live in developing countries? Here are some of the facts that you should know about:
- At least 10% of the world’s total population is disabled.
- 20% of the world’s poorest population is disabled.
- The percentage of children with disability, who are currently not getting any education, varies from 65 – 85%.
- The mortality rate for disable children in developing countries is 80%, which accounts to 20% of the death under five mortality rates.
- Only 5% of the people from underprivileged backgrounds have access to the assistive equipments and technology.
Celebrating International Day of Persons with Disabilities
What Do People Do?
People from all over the world celebrate this day by promoting artwork and craftwork, which is made by people with disability.
The day is not a national or public holiday, but is observed by people all over the globe.
How to Celebrate It?
If you want to celebrate the day, then you can hold discussions, campaigns, and forums to talk about how you can improve life for the disabled people around you. You main aim should be to make sure that such people become a part of the society without any discrimination. Remember that nobody chooses disability, which is the reason why such people should not face any form of discrimination. What good are we as human beings if we are not there to help another human being who is underprivileged and disabled?
Did you know that physical problems are not the only problems that people with disability face? Majority of them are battling from psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder (if they became disabled after an accident), and low self esteem as well.
The Importance of International Day of Persons with Disabilities in Tanzania
Facts about Disabled People in Tanzania
- 98% of the disabled children in the country are not in school.
- People with disability are the poorest of the poor.
- Disabled women are the biggest victims of gender disparity.
The day is observed every year in Tanzania as well, with a aim to make the country a better place for the disabled population.